I have been experimenting with vegan sweets, looking for something quick, easy, and tasty. I have played with variety of almond butter cups (recipe coming soon), but they can be somewhat time-consuming to build.
So I’ve been playing with making my own bark…and this recipe only uses 3 ingredients: vegan chocolate chips, dried cherries, and almond slivers.Why vegan chocolate chips?
I use Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips (available in the gluten-free aisle) in my cooking. Along with being gluten-free, they are dairy, nut, soy free, and non-GMO. The ingredients are simple: cane sugar, unsweetened chocolate, and cocoa butter.
My previous go-to chocolate chips ingredient list contained semi-sweet chocolate made from sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, milkfat, soy lecithin, and natural flavors.
To me, the shorter the ingredient list, the bigger the win.
Let’s make bark!
Start with chocolate, of course, but the possibilities from there are endless. Consider adding peppermint pieces….other nuts….. make s’more bark by adding mini marshmallows and crumbled graham crackers…experiment with this…and enjoy!
- 1 1o-oz package of Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (or cranberries, or blueberries…you choose!)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- Line a 9-by-12 1/2-inch rimmed baking sheet with with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over the ends of the pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring constantly.
- Pour onto baking sheet, and spread in an even layer. It’s all right if it does not reach the ends of the pan, but try to keep the layer as even as possible.
- Immediately sprinkle the cherries and almond slivers onto the chocolate.
Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Peel off parchment, and break bark into pieces.
Store in an airtight container.