Sometimes we miss the convenience of a making a sandwich…particularly when we need portable food.
We always are looking for new ways of getting protein, and I hate to waste a meal or snack without getting some protein from it. Add in my grain sensitivity issues and this portable meal can become quite interesting.
Other vegans had mentioned they make “mock tuna” sandwiches, so I once again searched and tweaked.
The recipe below is adapted from Forks Over Knives.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup diced celery
- ¼ cup diced pickle
- romaine lettuce leaves (for the boats)
- Use a fork to mash the chickpeas in a mixing bowl, being sure to leave only a few beans whole.
- Add tahini paste, mustard, maple syrup, celery, and pickle to mixing bowl and mix. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
Spoon salad into a romaine lettuce leaf…. or”boat.” Cover with a second leaf. When I am taking these to work, I wrap the “boat” in plastic wrap, then foil. They travel well, and John loves them for lunch.