OK. I admit it. I needed sweets. John needed sweets….but we wanted something healthy. Well, not really – we really wanted store ought cake, cookies, pastries…. but decided to be responsible adults and make something healthy.
These chickpea blondies hit the spot giving us sweet salt, and protein! They were fast, and the ingredients were already sitting here begging to be used. We did have a difficult time letting them cool before eating them, but who cares!
AND…these just happen to be gluten-free!
Gluten-free vegan chickpea blondies
- 1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup all natural almond butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips plus 2 tablespoons
- sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray 8×8 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor or blender, add all ingredients except vegan chocolate chips and process until batter is smooth. Fold in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips, I like to use dark chocolate because it has less sugar but it’s up to you. Note: Batter will be thick and super delicious, so you could actually just eat it on it’s own!
- Spread batter evenly in prepared pan then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and edges are a tiny bit brown. The batter may look underdone, but you don’t want them to dry out!
- Cool pan for 20 minutes on wire rack. Sprinkle with sea salt then cut into squares. Makes 16 blondies.
TRY to wait until they have cooled to eat them….. I dare you 🙂