Sometimes we must be decadent…
It’s my birthday, and I am craving a slice of chocolate silk pie made with butter and eggs and topped with whipped cream.
Nope. Not happening.
But, I have been playing with some recipes and now have a vegan version of a chocolate silk pie…with a gluten-free crust! It does contain coconut cream, though, so John can only have small slices…sparingly…..
so, it’s company food! Now to invite people over so I can make this pie!
Gluten-free vegan chocolate ganache pie
Gluten-free crust (press-in): enough crust for a deep dish pie
- 1 ½ cups ground almonds (I use my Vitamix for this)
- 1 cup brown or white rice flour
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 4 TBL maple syrup
Chocolate Ganache Filling: enough filling for a deep dish pie
- 4 cups mini vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 8.5 oz cans of coconut cream (I use Coco Lopez Cream of coconut)
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- If you are making your own ground almonds, pour them into a Vitamix. Turn it to 5 and pulse 5-6 times until ground. Too much or too long will may give you almond butter 🙂
- Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl, then pour in the maple syrup and the melted coconut oil and work with you hands until the dough comes together in a type of ball.
- Place the ball into pie pan, pressing the crust into place on the bottom and up the sides of the pie pan.
- Bake the crust fully for 13-16 minutes until firm and golden. Let cool thoroughly.
Chocolate Ganache Filling:
- Melt the chocolate chips, either in a double boiler or using the microwave. Now, I have not owned a double boiler in years, so it’s the microwave for me. To melt the chocolate chips, pour them into a wide, shallow bowl and put it in the microwave. Heat it on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency. Remove from heat, then stir in the salt.
- Pour the coconut cream into the chocolate mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Pour the chocolate ganache into a cooled crust, spreading into an even layer.
Add cashew whipped cream if desired….or plain is awesome!