We love kidney beans. We love brown rice. Putting the two together just makes sense. I originally was making large pots of brown rice, then heating various beans to serve over rice. That works and is quick. Add some salsa, some green onions or chives, and a solid fast dinner emerges.
Sometimes though, the convenience of just tossing ingredients into a slow cooker, leaving the house, and returning to a fragrant tasty dinner is just the perfect way to go.
Slow cooker red beans and rice
- 2 15 oz. cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 1/3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup rice
- Place the kidney beans, onion, celery, thyme, vegetable broth, bay leaf, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in the rice, pinch of salt and pepper, and increase heat to high and cook for 1-2 hours depending on the rice you use (see notes) . Keep an eye out as you may need to add more liquid.