As you have figured out we eat a lot of beans made into stews and chili. But, I do freeze a lot so we are often pulling from the freezer to serve what I think of as ‘fast food.”
This slow cooker chili is one of our favorites..
It can withstand longer time in the slow cooker and freezes well. What more can we want?
Slow cooker sweet potato and chickpea chili
- 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 13.5 oz can of tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1.5-2 inch cubes (roughly 5 cups)
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 19 oz cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Add all ingredients to a 5 quart slow cooker. Mix with a spatula until completely combined.
- If preparing the night before, the slow cooker insert can be refrigerated overnight until ready to cook.
- Cook on lowest setting for 8-10 hours.
- Before serving, *gently* stir in the lime juice.
Serve with rice, tortilla chips, a crisp salad. . . .
Yes, the leftovers freeze easily.