I love chocolate. Chocolate for breakfast sounds absolutely perfect! Chocolate that is warm? With cinnamon and cherries? Greeting me when I first crawl out of bed? Oh my… Could there be anything better?
Oh, wait! It’s healthy, oil-free, fat-free, whole foods…and chocolate! Warm, comforting chocolate. . . . . .
Molly’s overnight chocolate oatmeal
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 5 oz dried cherries – but dried blueberries or cranberries would work
- 2 T unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 sticks cinnamon
- 1 oz chopped unsweetened baking chocolate
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Add all ingredients to a 3-4 qt slow cooker.Stir well.
- Cover and cook on WARM (not low) overnight for 8 hours. I have tried this on low and it burned, but WARM was just right.
- In the morning, scoop into a bowl and add frozen – yes, frozen – cherries, blueberries, or whatever. There is just something magical about the taste of the frozen cherries that burst with the hot chocolate oatmeal.
Freeze remaining oatmeal in individual servings for a decadent breakfast later in the week.
Of course, if you want a warm dessert in the winter…then cook this during the day and don’t tell anyone they are eating oatmeal for dessert 🙂 they will think it is pudding!