My husband is Irish. His grandparents stepped off of the boat at Ellis Island.
Of course we celebrate St.Patrick’s Day with traditional food! Or…as close as we can!
We both love the traditional shepherd’s pie, so I thought I would experiment a little with a vegan approach.
Slow cooker vegan lentil shepherd’s pie
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1½ cups lentils, picked over and rinsed well
- 1 large can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 4 cups mashed potatoes, or baked sweet potatoes
- Layer the diced onion, carrot, celery, salt, thyme, pepper, lentils, tomatoes, and vegetable broth into your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours*
- When the cooking time is complete, stir in the frozen mixed vegetables.
- Spoon into bowls and serve with a scoop of mashed potatoes. Or, spoon into a split baked sweet potato. Or, spoon into individual ramekins, top with mashed potato, and bake at 400°F for 20-30 minutes, until the potatoes are golden and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
Leftovers can be served over rice, over roasted potatoes…even frozen!